Career in Library and Information Science
Librarianship as a profession provides a variety of employment opportunities. Today there are a number of career prospects in Library and Information Science. The qualified professionals are employed in various libraries and information Centers. Trained library professionals can find opportunities for employment both as teacher and as a Librarian. In fact, it is possible to choose the kind of library to suit one's interest and background. In Librarianship, designations could be Librarian, Documentation Officer, Assistant Librarian, Deputy Librarian, Scientist (Library Science/ Documentation), Library and Information Officer, Knowledge Manager/ Officer, Information Executive, Director/Head of Library Services, Information Officer, and Information Analyst
- In School, College, Universities.
- In Central Government Libraries.
- In the training centers of banks.
- In National Museum and Archives.
- In NGOs working in different areas.
- In Foreign Embassies and High Commissions.
- In International Centers like WHO, UNESCO, UNO, World Bank etc.
- In the libraries of Ministries and other government departments.
- In National Level Documentation Centers.
- In the newspaper libraries.
- In the Libraries of Radio Stations.
- In the Databases provider firms.
- In publishing companies for preparing Index, abstracts, bibliographies etc.
The role of libraries in providing widespread and inclusive access to knowledge is widely acknowledged. In today's context, libraries have to play two distinct roles - to serve as a local centre of information and knowledge, and be a local gateway to national and global knowledge.
Courses in LIS
- Certificate course in Library and Information science
- Diploma course in Library and Information Science
- Bachelor in Library and information science (BLISC or B.LIB) Eligibility Graduate in any discipline from recognized University
- Master in Library and information Science (MLISC or M.LIB) Eligibility BLISc or B.LIB from recognized University
- M.Phil in Library and Information science Eligibility MLISC or M.LIB from recognized University
- Ph.D in library and Information Science Eligibility MLISC from recognized University
Course qualifying marks in different courses differ from university to university. Earlier the subject was called library science but now due to information explosion professionals handle information. So library science is changing into information science. A few universities have incorporated this word in the course name but not removed the word library. So some universities provide degree i.e. Bachelor in library and Information Science(BLISC), and Masters in Library and information Science (MLISC), M.Phil in Library and Information science and Ph.D in Library and Information Science and some provide degrees like Bachelor in library Science(B.LIB), and Master in Library Science (M.LIB), M.Phil in Library and Information science and Ph.D in Library Science)
The computer and information technology is now being widely used in libraries and information centers to process, store, retrieve and disseminate information. There is an increasing use of computer and information technology in libraries today.
Universities offering courses in LIS
There are a number of university departments offering the LIS courses. LIS are available in the following Universities/Institutes-
Salaries in Library and Information profession
The salary varies depending upon the nature of the organizations.
Persons possessing good academic record and adequate skills in computer and information technology, can look forward to a rewarding career in this profession.